6/16/09

It's my day off today, and as I spent Sunday doing absolutely nothing, I thought I might do something productive today. However, Patrick isn't feeling particularly well today, and since he didn't even really have yesterday off (he had to go to the doctor and run some errands) so I might just take today off, too. That's okay, knitting and relaxing is productive. It totally produces a sense of wellbeing.
However, there are a few things I need to get done today, one of which is mailing some things. And I have to go to the bank--I have a lot of tips to deposit. Plus I need to clean my bedroom, it's a mess. Those are all small things, though, and they certainly aren't going to eat up my day.

Emily is going home today. I'd like to be there and see her, but she really just needs to go home, be made comfortable, and then left alone. She hasn't had a whole lot of privacy this last week, and it's driving her crazy. BUT. Now she can have solid food, and she'll be well taken care of at home. Jim is a good guy, and I feel relieved every time something like this comes up.

Work is only going to get crazier as time goes on, it seems. Jen, the new day server, walked in last night to say that she was pregnant, needed bed rest, and couldn't work any more. I try to be an optimistic person, and I like to think the best of everyone, but it almost seems like this was staged. So now she collects maternity and Matt can't get rid of her to replace her. So it looks like I'll be working days for a while yet. Sigh.
Oh, and Lauren the new weekend girl was a no-call no-show Saturday and Sunday. We're assuming she quit. She certainly doesn't have a job with us anymore.
But that's okay. I will heave myself through it like I always do. At least I have a job.

Every Monday me and about nine other people play Dungeons and Dragons. It's fun, and we all have a great time, hams that we are. I always bring knitting with me. It's part of my character (I stole a bit from Sanna--Morrigan knits hats and scarves and things with simple heating spells and sells them in towns) and it keeps my hands busy while my mind is busy with my acting or with Bob describing everything around us. I've been bringing Domovoi with me, because I'm excited at how quickly it's getting on. Well, to get to the point...
Dan, a friend of mine from high school asked me to knit him a scarf. I told him I'd come up with a few patterns and yarns to choose from, and then I'd let him pick out what he wanted. Ty then said she'd like a scarf in red and black, and to surprise her. I think I'm only going to charge them for the price of the yarn, though my wallet thinks I should just ask for, like, $10 in addition. But friends don't pay for my time. I knit for them because I care about them. I knit for them because I want them to have a scarf that is made warmly and with love and thought. I want them to have something that they can say, "Oh, you like this? Thanks, my friend Kate made it for me. It's so warm!"
I want them to wear it and use it and love it until it's threadbare and they have to ask for another one.


Well, I'm off to enjoy my day off. Maybe I can convince Patrick to go with me to the craft store so I can pick out a few yarns for Dan to look at. I already know what I'm going to do for Ty.


Don't stop, never give up
Hold your head high and reach the top
Let the world see what you have got
Bring it all back to you
Dream of falling in love
Anything you've been thinking of
When the world seems to get too tough
Bring it all back to you
~S Club 7 (Does anyone remember them any more?) "Bring it All Back"

No comments: