6/25/07

frogging for fun and profit?

As the title of my post suggests, I frogged (rip it, rip it! Such a bad pun) the socks that I was knitting for me because I didn't knit the stitches with the same tension. The ribbed cuff was looser than the heel, which was looser than the gusset, and it was one of those thing where other people probably wouldn't have noticed, but I knew it and it bothered me. So I ripped all of the sock I had done (my first sock EVER) and started a project for my boyfriend.

The socks that I'm doing for him are knitted with double yarn on the sole to give it extra padding and I thought that was brilliant because he's on his feet a lot at work and he's always complaining about this horrible recurring athlete's foot he's got and how it hurts all the time. (My mom says that we need to marry up, not down, but with all my little injuries and problems, I think I'm making a sideways movement). Well, the problem with them is that they've got this lacy sort of look to them and my boyfriend is not a lacy-sock kind of guy. So I figured I would match the number of rows and stitches and just make them plain--all I wanted was the doubled sole.
...
It's harder than I thought. I've just finished turning the heel tonight, actually, and according to the pattern, you continue with the yarn doubled for only five of the selvedged stitches on the heel and then you drop a strand of yarn on the inside of the sock. I haven't read the pattern all the way through yet because I get ahead of myself and it confuses me, but I can't see how that second strand of yarn gets from the left side of the heel flap to the right side. Does it even go to the right side at all? I've put it down for the night because I'm thinking rather slowly today due to a dearth of sleep last night. Like that vocabulary word? That's an English Major kind of word right there.

Anyway, I'll get some pictures up tomorrow, probably, and I'll read the rest of the pattern through and fiddle with it a bit. Hopefully it will work out and he'll love them. He's already really excited because no one has ever made him a gift like this before (I knitted him a scarf for Christmas that he was equally ecstatic about) and I don't want to disappoint him too much. My other option is, if these don't work, to rip them and try another pattern where the sole is made seperately and can be removed and replaced when it gets worn. Those are probably just as intuitive a gift for him because in the winter his feet get cold a lot so he'd wear them all the time. And wear them out. Quickly.

I can't wait for the tour de france kal to start because I'm making my beret out of this "blue denim" yarn that my mother won in a contest from Michele over at knitsane (http://knitsane.squarespace.com/). It's a beautiful color, but I've been warned that the dye rubs off and to be careful when I use it. I don't mind...I work with kids. I'm used to my hands being different colors at the end of a project. Last Friday I was scooping water ice for them for snack and my hands were stained pink up until earlier this morning when the last of it faded away. Now they're purple from the first of this year's load of blueberries I'll be consuming. Pints of them never last long in my house.

No comments: