12/5/07

Shuttlecraft to Enterprise...

Today's post title is a very strange one, I'll admit, even for me. It was brought on by my pondering my ability to ride my bike to work tonight in the snow, in the dark. I then thought about how a hovercraft would be really awesome to take to work. And hovercraft sounds like shuttlecraft...
We have an ornament of the Enterprise's shuttlecraft that lights up. When you press a button, Spock's voice says "Shuttlecraft to Enterprise, shuttlecraft to Enterprise. Spock here. Happy holidays. Live long, and prosper." It's a favorite of mine and my sisters' since we were kids. And, now that we're older and have much more refined senses of humor, we have the shuttlecraft rap. This consists of pressing the button repeatedly with no discernable pattern. What comes out is something like this, "Shuttle craft-shuttle-shuttle craft to Enterprise-shu-sh-sh-shut-" and so on.
It's almost as traditional as my dad plugging in the tree lights, throwing them in a tangled mess on the tree and declaring them done.

Well, it's snowing out. Actually snowing, not just flurrying like it was earlier.

I looked outside around ten this morning and discovered that some snowflakes were falling, but not enough to be excited over. At about 12:15 I went outside and got some shots of my back yard. I don't think you can really see the snow falling very well, but the ground is getting a dusting. It's not sticking to any road surfaces, so I think if I have to ride my bike in to work tonight it won't be so bad, provided the snow lets up enough for me to see clearly. I've had offers from Em's boyfriend and my friend Corey for rides, but I feel bad taking advantage of their cars. And then I'd have to ask my mom to come pick me up at nine, and I always feel bad asking her to come out and get me.

I could get a license if I tried harder, but everytime I ask mom to take me, she forgets, and then when I remind her on the weekends, the only days she can take me, she's tired from cleaning or something. It's just the way my luck goes. Em's moving up to PA, El doesn't drive, and there's no way I'm letting my dad take me. Don't get me wrong, he's a great guy, but my dad was not cut out to be a teacher. Of anything. He loses his patience to easily sometimes. Oh well. I'm sure I'll get driving soon enough. After the license I just have to get a car! Heck, if I get that far, I'll settle for anything with four wheels that runs.


"Everybody can be great... because anybody can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. You don't have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love."
~Martin Luther King jr.

3 comments:

Donna Lee said...

Ok, so why can't you remind me? I will gladly teach you to drive. I have gotten the impression that you weren't too eager to learn.... And you all need to leave my shuttlecraft ornament alone.

Em said...

I don't mind teaching you, either, sweetheart, you just need to ask when I have fuel and am not working.

Yayyyy, snow!!!

Anonymous said...

I do not loose my patience easily