8/23/10

It's been quite a while since my last post, but I just haven't had too much to blog about. At least, not much I felt like writing about. I've been in kind of a creative slump for a while, so I haven't been doing much for the last week besides putzing around the interweb and playing video games.

I have, however, been picking up my bass regularly and at least making noise with it. I'm currently working on the song All the Small Things (youtube link) and trying to learn Heart Goes Boom! (lyrics/music link) which is from the previously mentioned show K-ON! For my birthday my parents are getting me bass lessons. I have my first one tomorrow to see if I like this guy Mom found. Hopefully it'll go well. He asked me to put together some music that I like so that he could start teaching me with something I enjoy. Part of what he teaches is how the bass works in conjunction with the other instruments, which should be interesting.
I've been trying to get Patrick over to his mom's regularly because she's supposed to be giving him lessons, but when he gets home from work he's just too lazy to do anything for the rest of the night. It's hard to get him out the door for D&D every week. Bob, who has large, thick fingers has been trying to find a way to work around that on a thin-necked guitar. He finds that he's often pressing more than one string when he shouldn't be, so he's having a bit of a hard time figuring out how to fix that. There's a lot of tips on the subject online. I actually have the opposite problem, my fingers are long and skinny. The bass strings, which are thicker and stronger than guitar strings need more finger strength to hold them down. For me, though, it's just a matter of building up strength in my left hand.

Knitting is pretty much completely stopped for now. I'll pick up my projects again in a day or two, but until I've trudged out of this slump I just don't feel like doing much.

beesu ga kanjin donna mono, hito datte
taishin kyoudo wa OK? tate ni yoko ni yusaburu yo
kidoairaku jazube no bodi ni zenbu watashi ga tsumatteru
shunkashuutou nijuuyojikan unaru haato wa mukyuu
bo boom boom boom boom!!
The bass is essential, no matter what or who it is
Is your earthquake resistance OK? You'll be shaken up and down, side to side
I'm packing all my feelings into the body of my jazz bass
Four seasons a year, 24 hours a day, my roaring heart never stops
Bo Boom Boom Boom Boom!!

Yoko Hikasa "Heart Goes Boom"

2 comments:

Donna Lee said...

The slumps seem to be going around. I hope the bass lessons work out. I want to hear you play.

roxie said...

Are you going to be singing in Japanese or English? SO cool!

August doldrums are a fact of life. Embrace the lazy. You'll be September brisk soon enough.